The community at Our Lady of Mount Carmel Parish in the Denver Highlands neighborhood, at 3549 Navajo St., celebrated its 120th anniversary Dec. 7. Events included a morning Mass, in Italian, celebrated by Archbishop Samuel Aquila, followed by a reception in the parish hall organized by the Men’s Club and Altar and Rosary Society.
The parish was originally dedicated on Palm Sunday, March 18, 1894, in the section of north Denver, known then as “Little Italy,” to minister to Italian immigrants. The cornerstone of the existing historic church was laid in 1899 and completed in 1904. The church is registered with the Denver Landmark Preservation Commission and the National Register of Historic Places. The parish has been ministered by the Servite order since that time, with current pastor Servite Father Hugh Guentner at the parish since 2010.
Photos by Hank Fanelli/KFTB Photography