On Sept. 21 the Sisters of St. Francis of Penance and Christian Charity, Sacred Heart Province, celebrated the 75th anniversary of their province with a Mass at Guardian Angels Parish in Denver followed by a reception.
The sisters belong to an international congregation that was founded in the Netherlands in 1835. In 1874 sisters from the German province came to the United States and by 1886 they were ministering on the Rose Bud Indian Reservation in South Dakota. From there the ministries of the sisters in the north central part of the United States spread to North Dakota, Nebraska and Colorado.
The sisters first began ministries in the Denver area in 1917 when they started teaching at St. Elizabeth School. There are currently 37 sisters in Sacred Heart Province, 16 in the Denver Archdiocese, and some 1425 internationally. The province headquarters are located at 52nd Avenue and Federal Boulevard.
Ministering in the metro area in a variety of apostolates ranging from educational initiatives to homeless ministry and spiritual direction, are Sisters Alicia Cuaron, Cecilia Linenbrink, Hanna Amante, Jeanne Flahaven, Joanne Killey, Leandra Schaller, Leona Card, Elizabeth Fuhr, Macrina Scott, Mary Joy Peter, Maureen Murphy, Patricia Podhaisky, Paula Archuleta, Rita Cammack, Sen Nguyen, Susan Artone-Fricke.