Foundation donates iPads to Catholic schools

Julie Filby

Hundreds of students now have a chance to enhance their Catholic education with the addition of an iPad.

During the week of Jan. 19, the JDO Foundation, a Littleton based non-profit educational organization, visited three schools in the Archdiocese of Denver to provide 540 iPads: St. Rose of Lima Academy, Assumption School and Guardian Angels School.

The foundation was started in 2011 by former 25-year teacher Judy O’Connell Coon as a tribute to her father Richard K. O’Connell, a lifelong supporter of education. The foundation has also provided iPads to St. Francis de Sales School, Annunciation and Escuela de Guadalupe.

The goal of the foundation is to ensure that each child, pre-kindergarten through eighth grade, has “1:1 iPad integration to use during their elementary and middle school educational experience.”

“The JDO Foundation is thrilled to be working with these wonderful schools and very deserving students and teachers,” according to a statement from the organization. “(We) truly believe that technology unlocks the doors of education.”

For more information, visit jdofoundation.org.

COMING UP: Late St. Joseph deacon ‘reached out into the peripheries’ during ministry

Sign up for a digital subscription to Denver Catholic!

Deacon Maclovio (Max) Sanchez, 87, passed away peacefully in Olathe, Kansas on April 30. Deacon Sanchez was assigned to St. Joseph’s Parish in Denver throughout his diaconal ministry.

Maclovio Sanchez was born on May 21, 1931 in San Luis, Colorado, to Estevan and Emily Sanchez. He was baptized at Most Precious Blood Parish in San Luis, Colorado, on June 2, 1931 and grew up in Walsenberg, Colorado.  He graduated from St. Mary’s High School in Wasenberg.

On April 24, 1954, he married Mary Frances Marquez at Holy Rosary Parish in Denver.  Over the 65 years of their marriage, the couple was blessed with three children: Martin, Debra and Joshua. They also had numerous grandchildren and great grandchildren.

In Denver, Max worked for Midwest Liquor Company, delivering products to the area stores. But his love was directed towards the poor communities in the metro area.  Max was vice chairman of the Coalition for the Westside Betterment and President of the St. Vincent de Paul Society Food Bank. He and his wife were also very involved in the parish at St. Joseph’s.

On March 22, 1975, Maclovio was ordained a deacon at the Cathedral Basilica of the Immaculate Conception by Archbishop James Casey. This was only the second class of men ordained in the archdiocese at the time. He was immediately assigned to St. Joseph’s Parish where he also conducted numerous Spanish Missions and served at the Westside Action Center. Retiring from ministry in 1993, he continued to serve at St. Joseph’s Parish as long as his health would allow.

“Deacon Max reached out into the peripheries and brought the lost back into the Church,” said Deacon Joseph Donohoe, Director of Deacon Personnel. “We have been blessed to have such a dedicated Cleric and Servant of the Church in Denver.”